Working with Oxfam In Ghana
Oxfam aims to bring lasting solutions for quality access to water, poverty, hunger, and injustice in the Ghana. Oxfam has worked in Ghana since 1986 with the focus on bridging the gap between progress made in the north and south, sustainable agricultural livelihoods, free universal quality education and health care, and promoting accountable governance and transparency in natural resource revenue management
Location: Ghana – Accra
Salary: GHS 106822.04 p.a.
Region: West Africa
Job Family: Programme
Job Type: Open ended / Fixed term
Closing Date: 2 October 2017
The Gender Justice Programme of Oxfam in Ghana will seek to ensure the promotion of gender equality and women’s rights. It will address the many forms of gender-based violence to achieve increased control over lives of women and girls in Ghana. The project areas will in particular be to increase transformative leadership, economic empowerment, and political voices, and to reduce violence against women and girls in Ghana.
The Gender and Women’s Rights Advisor will play a key role in developing the Oxfam in Ghana gender strategy, support develop and manage initiatives of Oxfam in Ghana towards addressing gender inequality and promoting rights of women and girls. The position will support the building of systems, structures, capacity of staff and partners to put women’s rights at the heart of Oxfam programming in Ghana.
• Work within Oxfam’s Strategic Change Objectives on Gender Justice (GJ), and provide facilitative country leadership in this area, develop the GJ country strategy, help prioritise key activities, ensure that cross-cutting issues of gender are included, identify and co-ordinate the local to global interface and provide strategic guidance on how best to achieve long term impact and sustainable change around the delivery of Gender Justice in Ghana.
• Adopt a “thought leadership” attitude, stay up-to-date with the latest thinking, undertake/commission organized research and analysis and spend time in reflective consideration to develop a comprehensive understanding of poverty, Gender Justice and the issues that influence it.
• Participate in appropriate campaign and advocacy work to further Oxfam’s change goals.
Programme Support and Delivery
• Develop and deliver programmes and strategies to effectively address Gender Justice issues
within the OCS and related pillars.
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of Oxfam’s partnership approach and adopt a strategic,
proactive perspective on how to achieve partner led approaches to achieve sustainable change in
the delivery of Gender Justice work in Ghana.
• Develop and deliver on a monitoring, evaluation and learning strategy around Gender Justice
work including annual country learning reviews.
• Provide the interface between the Ghana programme and local, regional and global activities
around gender justice.
• Develop understanding and expertise on building responses to gender based violence, gender
inequality and gender diversity into the Ghana Gender Justice programme portfolio and activities.
• Consistently demonstrate ability to gather evidence from the field in order to plan an influencing
and advocacy role representing Oxfam across a range of internal and external groups, managing
partner, government and donor relationships.
• Identify and exploit media and other external opportunities to profile work and advocate on issues
relating to Gender Justice and women’s rights.
• Monitor and analyse developments in gender in Ghana and the sub region and advise
programme teams on its implications.
• Provide technical assistance to partners in assessing the strength of their approach to gender
mainstreaming across the programme cycle.
• Provide advice on appropriate gender sensitive indicators in the performance measurement
framework and support colleagues in the monitoring and reporting of programme results/outputs
and objectives against agreed indicators.
Compliance and Governance
• Adhere to all Oxfam programme requirements and standards in relation to approved systems and
programme implementation plan, project cycle management, programme quality and programme
learning and other requirements.
• Undertake and support the regular monitoring and evaluation process of the Gender Justice work.
to continually assess programme delivery and performance against agreed results; recommend
and implement action to ensure delivery is achieved.
Organizational Management and Resource Mobilisation
• Work with the Fundraising and Programme Development Advisor to develop and implement a
funding strategy for the Ghana Gender Justice programme.
• Participate in relevant fundraising activities, through the development of fundable concepts at all
levels and by developing donor proposals, budget submissions and other necessary activities to
secure funding for programmes.
• Provide regular information, briefings and reports on Gender Justice and women’s rights
programme in Ghana.
• Effectively manage the allocated budgets and ensure alignment to Programme implementation
• Ensure gender in programme cycle management and clear investment and budgeting in gender.
• Account for gender related outcomes with team leads, staff and partners.
• Represent Oxfam in meetings and events of stakeholders to share project experience and
influence for change.
• Write gender related monitoring reports.
• Conduct baseline, mid-term, end-line and final evaluation of gender related issues.
• Actively participate in project campaign design and implementation with partners.
• Update information in the project database system (OPAL) at all times.
• Present cases and learning within and outside Oxfam affiliates.
• Review power mapping and situation analysis.
Technical Skills, Experience and Knowledge
• Experience in women’s economic empowerment or economic and rural livelihoods is highly
• A minimum of four years relevant work experience managing a gender portfolio.
• Knowledge and understanding of the institutional, legal and policy frameworks at national and
local level that impact the status of women in Ghana.
• Experience in project cycle appraisal, management and monitoring.
• Ability to network effectively with the ability to develop a wide range of relevant contacts.
• Be comfortable with working within a multidisciplinary, multi-cultural team.
• Relevant experience in international development especially related to issues of gender.
• Proven programme management experience for at least five years.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of gender, power relations, women’s rights, and at least
working knowledge of the project issues.
• Demonstrate understanding of good approach to women’s and girl’s empowerment and social
• Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
• Good judgment, strong coordination and negotiation skills.
• Good organizational skills, ability to work independently and to deliver results as agreed on time.
• Good interpersonal skills and influencing skills.
• Ability to write results-based reporting.
• Strong computer literacy especially Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
• Experience with delivering capacity building interventions.
• Knowledge and experience with gender approaches and tools.
• Strong learning process facilitating skills, research and interview skills, and knowledge
• Commitment to equal opportunity gender equality and the principles of diversity.
• Experience with partnership development and management.
• Evidence of good analytical and problem solving skills.
Click here for details and application
NB: This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be changed from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder.