The Association for Research on Civil Society in Africa (AROCSA) was established by the Ford Foundation, West Africa to drive research and advance the work done by Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and its Stakeholders across Africa. The organization is looking to hire an Executive Director who will be based in Lagos, to lead its efforts.
The Executive Director will be responsible for developing and guiding the strategic vision of AROCSA and managing internal and external stakeholder relationships. The ED’s ultimate mission is to build a strong continent-wide network that ultimately changes the way in which researchers and practitioners in Civil Society engage meaningfully in Africa, making Civil Society relevant in Africa’s Development.
SUMMARY OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- PROGRAMS: Design programs and events that are aligned with the organizational areas, and manage them through planning, documentation and execution across the continent.
- RESEARCH: Support members in their research activities, identify funding opportunities and build partnerships with research institutes, and build strong training initiatives to improve members’ research capacity.
- FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION: Oversee financial management; ensure that funds are used efficiently and reporting is done properly, with particular attention to reporting to the organization’s advisory board.
- FUNDRAISING: Align strategic program needs with forecasting and budgeting, and set annual fundraising targets.
- EXTERNAL RELATIONS: Serve as the key spokesperson for the organization, articulate its values and mission with various audiences, and sustain aggressive membership-expansion strategies, with annual targets for both institutional and individual memberships.
- ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Recruit and retain the best people and develop a healthy work environment to promote staff growth, well-being and productivity.
SUMMARY OF NATURE OF WORK
PARTNERSHIPS & OUTREACH
- Public Relations
- Funding & Mentoring Partner Relationships
- Research & Publications
- Annual Conference
- Capacity Building
FINANCE & OPERATIONS
- Finance & Accounting
- Record keeping
- General Administration
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- A PhD holder with the ability to teach relevant courses at a University.
- At least 6 years of relevant/related work experience in a managerial or teaching capacity.
- Experience spanning various sectors is highly desirable.
- Must recognize the multiple contexts in Africa, appreciate the changing dynamics and leverage diversity, building bridges across regions, academia and practice.
- Experience in partnership building on a multi-national level is essential.
- Must be able to manage the organization with the future in mind and anticipating contextual changes that may affect the vision and strategy.
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills in both informal and formal settings, and must be able to engage effectively with multiple audiences for mutual benefit.
All interested qualified candidates should send an introductory email and their CVs (as a PDF or Word attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 29th August, 2017